Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Rage3D Kombuting, December 11 edition

This week, due to total lack of subjects, Kombatant discusses his home networking project, mentions Tegra 4 and the new 3DMark and has some things to say about some cool game trailers from the VGA and Valve's upcoming Console/PC.

Rage3D Kombuting, December 11 edition
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

The Steam box is the most interesting of the current news for me since it is rather mysterious, has much potential and possibility of utter failure too. PS4 and next X will probably not throw too many surprises and will probably succeed and just is boring thinking about them. If Valve allows for hardware expansion, not just memory cards and hard drives with keyboards with the Steam Box then that in itself would throw the console concept into a whole new generation.

I do believe MS with the next X will have a phone interface particulary with Win8 devices such as phones, tablets or any other PC in the house. Used for controllers and maybe a rendering farm for games going to those devices. Play that latest Xbox game on your phone or tablet maybe with multiple people with the console doing the rendering for the devices in play. Which would be very cool.

Now the difference with a SteamBox is that it sounds like it can morph as needed while the PS4 and X will be set in stone type designs with less variations possible. Meaning Valve can play things different as needed to win.

Good edition.

oh, there are a ton of independent developers out there which if anyone notice has broad support and even appeal on Steam. Those Indy bunch reminds of the older PC games of yesterday new, imaginative, unique and not a rehash of a rehash. Steam already has an army of developers that would probably feel right at home with a Steam box.

Last edited by noko : Dec 11, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Steambox is indeed the most interesting one; what I am really secretly hoping is that it will propel Linux gaming efforts. That alone could bring massive changes in our computing world, since gaming is the one thing keeping many people from switching operating systems.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
Steambox is indeed the most interesting one; what I am really secretly hoping is that it will propel Linux gaming efforts. That alone could bring massive changes in our computing world, since gaming is the one thing keeping many people from switching operating systems.
Game makers have enough issues dealing with Windows PC ports. Is Linux a real alternative here?

yoz
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I can't see how.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I can't see how.
Yeah, I don't see it. How would this Valve box be able to run every game in Steam in 1080p at 60 FPS running Linux? Maybe Gabe knows something we don't?

yoz
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I can't see how.
Obviously Gabe has something very specific in his mind, I don't think he'll pour resources on a DOA machine.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
Obviously Gabe has something very specific in his mind, I don't think he'll pour resources on a DOA machine.
No doubt. Just can't see his angle ATM.

yoz