Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Headphones Rage3D - HIS CO:CAINE Urban Style 05 Headphones Review

HIS is branching out from their graphics card add-in board line up and we've been rocking out with their new Urban Style CO:CAINE headphones.

HIS CO:CAINE Urban Style 05 Headphones Review @ Rage3D.com
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

How is the quality of the construction? Will they wear out in a few months or will they appear to give good service life? Looks like a very good deal.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Look pretty good, and at a reasonable price-point. Weird marketing though - absolutely do not get the cocaine naming bit.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Look pretty good, and at a reasonable price-point. Weird marketing though - absolutely do not get the cocaine naming bit.
Not to take it in a P&R direction, but it sounds to me like the HIS marketing people are extremely tone-deaf on this product naming scheme; it sounds a lot like they just discovered Grandmaster Flash's White Lines (Don't Don't Do It), with the "urban" (read: inner-city and/or black people) and "cocaine" references for this headset, not to mention the "graffiti" design. HIS might as well have named this headset "Ear Crack", but I digress.

That's disappointing, because they make good stuff, especially their video cards. I guarantee that the major reason HIS went "urban" with this is an ill-advised marketing attempt to compete with Dr. Dre and Beats; this might be worthy of some further inquiries to the HIS marketing folks.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Jan 27, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
How is the quality of the construction? Will they wear out in a few months or will they appear to give good service life? Looks like a very good deal.
They feel well constructed, over the few weeks I've been using them they haven't got sloppy or anything. I think they'll last in my use of sitting at my desk, probably not so well if I were commuting with them and they travelled in bag a lot but I think that's kinda true of anything.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon_262 View Post
I guarantee that the major reason HIS went "urban" with this is an ill-advised marketing attempt to compete with Dr. Dre and Beats; this might be worthy of some further inquiries to the HIS marketing folks.
I'm in agreement with you, but if I tell you that HIS are based in China and don't have any kind of US presence for offices etc. will that tell you how 'in touch' they are with the real culture?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The cord is a good length at 1.5mm

Other than that, those things are some gaudy mother****ers. This would work if they were marketing to 13 year olds from 2003 - 2006, but I think 13 year olds today aren't so prone to faux-defining themselves with this style of marketing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird singsTalon_262 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I'm in agreement with you, but if I tell you that HIS are based in China and don't have any kind of US presence for offices etc. will that tell you how 'in touch' they are with the real culture?
I understand that and I also understand that they're aiming to sell this line worldwide, but this is just Marketing 101: if you're marketing something outside of your historic core product range, maybe you should get some outside marketing advice before using words like "cocaine" and "urban style" in association with each other to sell those products in countries where there's some not-so-good history concerning it (e.g. the "crack epidemic" of the 80s and 90s). However, I'll be honest: if HIS just used the CO:CAINE naming scheme, without having the "Urban Style" model, I doubt that I'd be even going on about this.

Maybe HIS is trying to evoke Grandmaster Flash's White Lines, maybe they're trying to evoke Tony Montana and Scarface, maybe they're trying to evoke gangsta rap (hence my surmise that HIS is trying to compete with Dr. Dre and Beats), or maybe it's something else, but something tells me that, here in North America (and especially the US), HIS is going to get a not-so-good reception to this line with some people.

Which, to me, is too bad, because these sound like decent headphones; however, many good, solid products have been waylaid by boneheaded, not-well-thought-out marketing decisions (see, in part, the Edsel) and I count this as a glaring one.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Jan 28, 2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 AM   #9
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think I'm going to stick to my good old BATH:SALTS and FRYCH|CKEN models from last year.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:12 AM   #10
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I think I'm going to stick to my good old BATH:SALTS and FRYCH|CKEN models from last year.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 AM   #11
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Yeah, what an awefull naming scheme.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Weird marketing though - absolutely do not get the cocaine naming bit.
Yeah, I don't get that. Do they think that they're marketing to Xbox owners?

Whats next? The crack/cocaine model?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:39 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Yeah, I don't get that. Do they think that they're marketing to Xbox owners?

Whats next? The crack/cocaine model?
No, the Girl Getters
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
No, the Girl Getters
I don't know, the naming will probably be noticed and passed around, meaning a lot of exposure. Still a good set of cans for the money.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:49 AM   #15
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a feeling Rage3D got the same box of goodies from HIS as I did (little speaker, 7979 ICEQ, some various cables).

The cord likes to twist and get bunched. The sound is nice and the device itself feels really firm, but the gaudy logo and color scheme make me feel dumb while using it.

I got a lot of comments from people I work with about it. It says COCAINE on each ear and has a heart looking symbol on the top with COCAINE under it. Kinda weird.

Overall, not too bad.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:44 PM   #16
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Who are they marketing this to?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Who are they marketing this to?
My guess is the Beats crowd, but who the hell knows; it's pretty obvious that the folks in the HIS Hong Kong HQ did f**kall for proper market research here in the US on their naming and design scheme.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Jan 29, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Yaboze
Radeon R420

Yaboze can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyYaboze can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not digging the ghetto look. I wouldn't wear anything with "Cocaine" on it. Dumb.