Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
seanR3D
Radeon R700

seanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies Testing Mantle and TrueAudio in Thief

Thanks to a collaboration between AMD, Square Enix, Eidos Interactive, and Eidos-Montreal, the PC version of Thief now benefits from Mantle and TrueAudio technology. We run both through some tests to see how much they bring to the table.

Testing Mantle and TrueAudio in Thief @ Rage3D.com
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Hippo
Radeon HD 5850

Hippo is still being judged by the masses

I'd like to know if TrueAudio can be offloaded to like a kaveri GPU while a dedicated card does graphics.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:48 AM   #3
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Solid review, Sean.

yoz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:36 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
I'd like to know if TrueAudio can be offloaded to like a kaveri GPU while a dedicated card does graphics.
Yes, you can process TrueAudio on A10-7700K and A10-7850K with any discrete GPU.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:19 PM   #5
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Jim, can Kavari process TrueAudio and a Nvidia card do graphics? You mentioned an AMD graphics card on your response. Would open up some options for upgrade of my CPU.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:28 AM   #6
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

One note Sean, try using TrueAudio with stereo headphones. Those 7.1 headphones are adding extra processing that might be screwing with the effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
One note Sean, try using TrueAudio with stereo headphones. Those 7.1 headphones are adding extra processing that might be screwing with the effects.
I found that to be the case with my headphones and a Soundblaster Zx. If the surround effects were enabled in the SB control panel the trueaudio effects in the demos were hard to differentiate - it was a subtle improvement. However when I disabled the ZX surround effects and just ran the headphones in unmodified stereo there was a much larger difference between normal stereo and the TrueAudio effects in the demos.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Burn
Radeon R700

Burn is still being judged by the masses

How do you enable or disable Trueaudio ? how do i know is enabled ? i dont remember a trueaudio option ... just the Mantle setting in the video tab

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:19 PM   #9
teiva
Radeon R200

teiva is still being judged by the masses

Mantle made quite a significant difference for me in Thief. I've noticed no stuttering whatsoever so far.

On this rig I'm running a 8350, R9-290, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Win8.1 64bit, 14.3 beta drivers and 1.3 Thief patch:

DirectX Mantle
Min 31.7 55.6
Max 97.6 119.6
Avg 49.2 81.0

I noticed a fair bit of difference with true audio enabled but then again that was with just normal stereo headphones.

I'll be getting another 290 shortly and will be able to start testing in crossfire.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:45 PM   #10
seanR3D
Radeon R700

seanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyseanR3D can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Good points on the surround. I'll look into this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
How do you enable or disable Trueaudio ? how do i know is enabled ? i dont remember a trueaudio option ... just the Mantle setting in the video tab
It's in audio options.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Burn
Radeon R700

Burn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanR3D View Post
Good points on the surround. I'll look into this soon.

It's in audio options.
humm if you talk about the reverb option my choice are Off and Software.

i have my game patched , 14.3 Cats and a HD7970..

unless Software = trueaudio ?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:16 PM   #12
seanR3D
Radeon R700

No, software is software.

TrueAudio is only supported on the 2xx series.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:26 PM   #13
aalb1970

aalb1970 is still being judged by the masses

Default Difference between Trueaudio and Software?

Is there supposed to be a pronounced difference between TrueAudio and Software? To my ears the two settings sound exactly the same.

Are there any good places to test if it works in the beginning of game?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:05 PM   #14
seanR3D
Radeon R700

Alleys, cathedrals, etc. Any place where sound bounces off of walls a lot.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:38 PM   #15
aalb1970

Quote:
Alleys, cathedrals, etc. Any place where sound bounces off of walls a lot.
Ok, thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:12 PM   #16
seanR3D
Radeon R700

Article has been updated with new impressions, guys. A comparison video has been uploaded, too (audio recording settings: AAC 48kHz, stereo, 320 bitrate).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:07 PM   #17
aalb1970

Interesting. How did the headset drivers affect the results? On my system there's no audible difference between the "software" and the "TrueAudio" setting.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:32 PM   #18
seanR3D
Radeon R700

It has its own logic that I guess was interfering. Not precisely sure how.

It's not going to sound different in all scenarios. Try more.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:21 PM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Yes, you can process TrueAudio on A10-7700K and A10-7850K with any discrete GPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Jim, can Kavari process TrueAudio and a Nvidia card do graphics? You mentioned an AMD graphics card on your response. Would open up some options for upgrade of my CPU.
Read above.

Then buy an AMD Radeon.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:22 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
It has its own logic that I guess was interfering. Not precisely sure how.
Because -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
I found that to be the case with my headphones and a Soundblaster Zx. If the surround effects were enabled in the SB control panel the trueaudio effects in the demos were hard to differentiate - it was a subtle improvement. However when I disabled the ZX surround effects and just ran the headphones in unmodified stereo there was a much larger difference between normal stereo and the TrueAudio effects in the demos.
You have two spatial audio techniques fighting each other.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:59 AM   #21
aalb1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Because -

You have two spatial audio techniques fighting each other.
I can verify that this is true. You need to turn off all processing done by other sound engines such as Dolby, THX or Creative to experience TrueAudio in Thief.

I prefer to play games using headphones. Unfortunately full HRTF 3D sound in games has been absent in newer games since Windows Vista, so I sometimes set my speaker configuration to 5.1 and enable my soundcard's THX engibe to at least get 360 degrees surround sound on the horizontal axis.

Unfortunately such settings mess up the TrueAudio convolution reverb in Thief. Unless I set my speaker configuration to 2 speakers and disable all Creative processing the Software setting and the TrueAudio setting sound exactly the same.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my understanding is that the convolution reverb (TrueAudio) setting in Thief can be turned off and set either to hardware (GPU) or software (CPU) depending on your videocard, which should signify that when choosing software, TrueAudio algorythms are being handled by your CPU thus making the new sound effects audible in-game nonetheless, with overhead on the processor in exchange.

EDIT: nm, saw the update to the review!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:41 PM   #23
Idle Wild
Up and away!

Idle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyIdle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I wouldn't call 5 - 10fps a major performance benefit. I'd call it hype.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:01 PM   #24
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Wild View Post
I wouldn't call 5 - 10fps a major performance benefit. I'd call it hype.
nVidia has PhysX, AMD has TrueAudio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 04:14 PM   #25
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yeah, with Mantle not working in Crossfire 5 weeks after it was supposed to be released and TrueAudio usable on less than a handful of their latest cards, I think I can officially call shens.
How about some working drivers AMD, ffs?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:23 PM   #26
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
No, software is software.

TrueAudio is only supported on the 2xx series.
Correction, it's only supported by a small number of the R7/R9 series

R7-260: Yes, but it is an overclocked 7790, but drivers you know and 'hidden' hardware, it's GCN 1.1

R7-265: Nope, because it's a cut down 7800 series core. GCN 1.0

R9-270: Nope, rebranded 7800 series cores

R9-280: Nope, rebranded 7900 series cores

R9-290: Yes, here comes new silicon with GCN 1.1 and we've got TrueAudio!

2 out of 5 support TrueAudio, while they all support Mantle.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Mar 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 05:02 PM   #27
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just upgraded from 2 x 7950s to a 290x Windforce....Overclocked the 290x to the same as my 7950s, 1050/1300. Tested Thief 4 with crossfire, mantle, and 290x directx and mantle.

The 290x is the same speed (+/-3fps) as 1 (one) 7950 with Mantle, at the same clock speeds.
This is kind of pathetic. I was thinking that my 4Ghz i7 930 was holding my 290x back, but nope, checked Afterburner, showing pegged at 99% GPU usage.

Might just return the 290x at this point. The 7950s in crossfire had a max fps of 169 fps, while the 290x was like 71 fps.

1920x1200
4x AA
16x AF High Quality
Everything on high.

I wrote down all the fps results on a piece of paper at home, just going off the top of my head. I'll put the real ones down once I get home.

I haven't tested other games yet, aside from System Shock 2, which is capped at 250 fps, and the GPU is doing like no work.

The only benefit so far is that I don't have to deal with crossfire issues, like flickering images and z-fighting etc.

Ran Heaven benchmark and was impressed that the card never went over 75C. Good performance too.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 07:48 AM   #28
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Here were my results:

2x 7950 OC 1050/1300

Crossfire DirectX:
Min: 41.9 fps
Max: 126.8 fps
Avg: 68.2 fps

Mantle:
Min: 40.4 fps
Max: 76.9 fps
Avg: 59.0 fps

290x OC 1050/1300

DirectX: